KD Dr. med. Thomas Böni
Balgrist University Hospital has a highly specialized team to perform amputation, stump, and diabetic foot surgery, combined with a wound management clinic and medical podiatrists.
We also work closely with our in-house orthopaedic technicians and orthopaedic shoemakers, so that we can produce a wide range of appropriate aids and appliances. This holistic approach provides you with optimal personalized care and – with additional input from our specialized physiotherapists and occupational therapists – targeted individual rehabilitation.
Areas of expertise
If you have diabetes and related problems with your feet (ulcers, infections, Charcot foot, or gangrene), we can offer targeted ambulatory or inpatient care using:
- the latest wound treatment
- total contact plasters
- orthopaedic footwear appropriate to risk
- a wide range of surgical procedures (correction of deformities, resection arthroplasty, or amputation)
When we need to improve the patient’s circulation, especially when there are serious problems with the skin, we work closely with our colleagues in the departments of vascular medicine, vascular surgery, and dermatology.
Patients undergoing an amputation are given thorough preoperative advice and can count on our great experience with amputation surgery. Teamwork with orthopaedic technicians, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, social workers, and anaesthetists, as well as external psychiatrists, means that we can achieve the best early rehabilitation.
Treatment and procedures
Balgrist University Hospital offers comprehensive care for patients with temporary or permanent damage to the musculoskeletal system: orthopaedic technicians, orthopaedic shoemakers, plaster technicians, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, and social workers form a close-knit unit to address all your needs.
All our orthopaedic aids and appliances are produced under medical supervision, according to your requirements, with careful checks made to ensure they are appropriate for your needs:
- Orthoses (leg braces/splints)
- Back braces and surgical corsets
- Compression stockings
- Compression bandages
- Seat shells
- Burn and pressure garments
- Orthopaedic shoes, orthotic insoles and inserts, lifts and modifications
- Functional electrostimulation appliances
KD Dr. med. Thomas Böni
Dr. med. Martin Berli
Dr. med. Madlaina Schöni
Information for referring doctors
The technical orthopaedics team is mainly responsible for conservative management. In cooperation with Balgrist Tec AG, we treat all conditions associated with the diabetic foot (ulcers, chronic wounds, and prophylaxis). We are also concerned with all types of amputation in our hospital, from surgery through technical assistance to rehabilitation. Patients with severe disabilities such as congenital abnormalities or following an accident are better equipped for everyday life.
Indications and range of services
The technical orthopaedics team led by Dr. Thomas Böni specializes in the following
- Diabetic foot, especially charcot foot
- Ulcers and chronic wounds
- Amputations, stump revisions, stump problems
- Paralysis requiring braces
- Foot problems requiring orthopaedic shoes
- Congenital abnormalities or disabilities following an accident that require orthopaedic aids and appliances
- Rehabilitation techniques
We offer the following medical services
- Work-up, assessment and treatment of ulcers and chronic wounds
- Advice for wound management
- Amputations, including subsequent care
- Care of patients with an amputation during the rehabilitation period
- Advice on aids and appliances, with tailor-made solutions when necessary
- Medical podiatry
The benefit to your patients
Our medical services offer your patients the following advantages
- Everything in one place: medical advice, treatment, and supply of aids and appliances
- Professional expertise thanks to unique specialization
- Highly experienced team (doctors, wound experts, orthopaedic technicians)
- Independent second opinion or additional input in cases when treatment is stagnating