Prof. Dr. med. Christian W. A. Pfirrmann
The Department of Radiology at the Balgrist University Hospital carries out diagnostic imaging of the musculoskeletal system with the whole range of state-of-the-art X-ray, fluoroscopy, ultrasound, CT, and MRI equipment.
The entire team specialises in the musculoskeletal system, making it unique in Switzerland. The radiology services are available for all our patients and for referrals from other doctors and hospitals.
Sports injuries are more complicated than other changes in the musculoskeletal system. The work-up requires understanding of the biomechanics and the nature of the sport. Findings from our research segue into the diagnostic investigation and treatment of sports injuries. A specialised team with the latest equipment is available for elite sports – round the clock, if necessary.
Rheumatology diagnostic investigations
Our clinical and scientific activities focus on the imaging required specially for rheumatological diseases. Work-ups with techniques such as whole-body MRI scanning for ankylosing spondylitis or MRI of the hands and feet for the early diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis are increasingly relevant to personalised patient care.
Orthopaedic diagnostic investigations
With the advances in orthopaedic surgery, the demands on diagnostic imaging are becoming more complex. Our spectrum of investigations includes functional examinations, measurements and calculations, post-implant imaging, and personalised investigations for operation planning.
Minimally invasive pain therapy
We carry out a large number of image-guided minimally invasive treatments (e.g. injections of analgesics and anti-inflammatory drugs for prolapsed discs). In addition, we offer the possibility of treating facet joint arthritis and nerve root irritation with pulsed radiofrequency therapy.
Our infrastructure is absolutely up-to-the-minute and always adapted to the patient’s needs. For example, we have high-field MRI scanners with the widest possible bore for the patient on the market. At the present time, we operate:
- Three hi-tech MRI scanners, one 3 Tesla scanner, and two 1.5 Tesla scanners. One of the scanners has a comfortable 70 cm diameter bore for patients.
- One extremities 1.5 Tesla MRI scanner, which offers a good alternative for examination of the limbs in patients with claustrophobia.
- Two CT scanners (a 64-slice system and a dual-energy 64-slice scanner) as well as a CT scanner for examinations with the patient standing (flat panel detectors)
- Two fluoroscopy machines
- One ultrasound scanner
- One EOS whole body scanner for images of the entire vertebral column or the whole leg, with the possibility of 3D reconstructions
- Two digital X-ray machines with wireless flat panel detectors
- DXA (dual X-ray absorptiometry; bone mineral density scan) with the facility for simultaneous vertebral fracture risk assessment and whole-body fat measurement
Our system for the electronic storage and distribution of data (PACS) allows us to send results directly to our referring doctors via secure internet connections.
We consider clinical research to be an integral part of our work. Research leads to more precise diagnosis and targeted use of imaging procedures. In addition, it is an important measure of quality assurance.
We would be happy to arrange an appointment with you. If you wish to call us for more information, you can reach us during office hours.
Monday - Friday
08.00 a.m. - 5.00 p.m.
+41 44 386 33 13
We now have longer MRI operating times, from 7.00 am - 8.00 pm.
Prof. Dr. med. Christian W. A. Pfirrmann
PD Dr. med. Reto Sutter
PD Dr. med. Andrea B. Rosskopf
PD Dr. med. Veronika Zubler
Dr. med. Christoph A. Agten
PD Dr. med. Nadja Farshad
Dr. med. Franca Boldt
Dr. med. Benjamin Fritz
Downloads (available only in German)
- Institute for diagnostic radiology Zurich University Hospital
- International Diagnostic Course Davos IDKD
- European Society of Musculoskeletal Radiology ESSR
- Schweiz. Gesellschaft für Muskuloskelettale Radiologie SSSR
- International Skeletal Society ISS
- European Society of Radiology ESR
- Schweiz. Gesellschaft für Radiologie SRG-SSR