Treatment of non-surgical back problems
Physical medicine and rheumatology
Working closely together with the other departments, we cover the full range of investigation and treatment of non-surgical conditions affecting the spine.
In rheumatology, we make a distinction between mechanical and inflammatory causes of disease.
- Narrowed spinal canal
- Prolapsed discs
- Joint dysfunction
- Degenerative changes
Inflammatory rheumatological conditions
- Ankylosing spondylosis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Crystal deposition disorders
Work-up and treatment
- In depth assessment of the situation with detailed discussion and thorough physical examination
- Whenever necessary, further investigation such as blood tests and diagnostic imaging (e.g. X-rays, computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and ultrasound scans)
- Ambulatory or inpatient treatment as well as inpatient musculoskeletal rehabilitation
- Medication, manual therapies, prescription of physiotherapy or occupational therapy
- Inclusion of other departments within our Spine Centre, whenever necessary
‘Rheumatism’ is a blanket term for degenerative and inflammatory diseases of bones and joints, together with associated soft tissues such as muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Dr Florian Brunner and his team address the whole spectrum of conservative (non-surgical) diagnostic investigation and treatment of musculoskeletal system diseases.