Balgrist University Hospital partners selected hospitals to enhance the specialist orthopedic services on offer. We make sure that basic orthopedic care is available but, as a highly specialized hospital, we also cover complex orthopedic needs.
Balgrist orthopedic practice at the GZO Hospital in Wetzikon
Thanks to our cooperation with the GZO Hospital in Wetzikon, there is now an attractive orthopedic service available in the Zürcher Oberland (‘Zurich highlands’). Since September 2nd, 2019, Balgrist has been offering the following services in the GZO Hospital:
- Orthopedic outpatient clinics
- Specialized spine outpatient clinics
- Second opinions
- Consults (interdisciplinary case discussions)
- Radiological investigations
Routine operations are carried out at the GZO, more complex surgery will be performed at Balgrist (including spine surgery). Patients now have access to highly specialized medicine at the Balgrist University Hospital whenever this is medically indicated and more complicated investigations are considered necessary.
Shoulder & elbow
- Rotator cuff tears
- Osteoarthritis of the shoulder/elbow
- Tennis and golfer’s elbow
- Shoulder injuries
- Instability of the shoulder joint
- Osteoarthritis of the fore and hind foot
- Correction of hallux valgus
- Claw and hammer toes
- Tendon and ligament injuries
- Fractures and instability
- Bulging and herniation of intervertebral discs
- Complex deformities of the spine (in children and adults)
- Disease of the spine due to osteoporosis
- Narrowing of the spinal canal
- Tumors and inflammatory conditions of the spine
- Osteoarthritis of the knee
- Meniscus injuries
- Cruciate ligament injuries
- Malalignment of the leg axis
- Cartilage damage
Hip & pelvis
- Osteoarthritis of the hip
- Dysplasia of the hip (congenital malformation)
- Hamstring injuries
- Tendon/muscle injuries
Other external sites
Waid City Hospital (Stadtspital Waid)
Patients at the Waid City Hospital have been able to benefit from the services of the Zurich University Spine Center since November 2018, with dedicated outpatient clinics for back problems. The Waid City Hospital and Balgrist University Hospital work closely together not only in clinical aspects but also in the specialist training of doctors.
From Autumn 2020 onwards, Balgrist will join the Zurich University Hospital in providing services at the airport. In “The Circle”, Balgrist University Hospital will offer specialist outpatient clinics for orthopedics, musculoskeletal sports medicine, and chiropractic.
Sponsoring / medical partnership
Balgrist University Hospital sponsors the extreme athlete Gabi Schenkel and acts as her sports medicine partner. She is participating in the Talisker Whiskey Atlantic Challenge and will be the first Swiss woman to row solo across the Atlantic.