Prof. Dr. med. Johannes Scherr
Stay healthy with prevention and exercise
The University Center for Prevention and Sports Medicine combines various aspects of Sports Medicine under one roof. Thanks to its university character, it’s work dovetails with the latest musculoskeletal research.
- Personal registration is required for all appointments.
- The mask obligation still applies.
- Persons with symptoms of a respiratory tract infection and fever are not admitted.
- Only come to the training if you are healthy.
All about movement
We treat everyone with movement-related disorders and offer advice after accidents and surgery, covering conditions affecting the limbs, headaches, shortness of breath, or chest pain. As one of our patients, you will benefit from the specialist expertise of the entire hospital and will be treated in line with the highest quality guidelines of a Medical Center accredited by Swiss Olympic.
Monday – Friday
6.45 a.m. – 8.30 p.m.
Saturday 8 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Monday – Friday
7 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Saturday / Sunday
9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Closed until further notice.
Musculoskeletal sports medicine
- We place particular emphasis on determining the cause of joint complaints.
- Targeted treatment of the symptoms
- Structured build-up of therapy to restore and maintain function
Back and sacroiliac joint complaints
- Analysis of the stability of your back using specific tests
- Identifying the cause of pain using diagnostic imaging (X-rays, MRI, CT)
- Structured build-up of therapy to restore and maintain as much function as possible
Sprains, strains, and muscle tears
It’s sometimes very difficult to judge for yourself whether a muscle is merely overstretched, partially torn, or even completely torn. Imaging techniques help us with the diagnosis. Our specialized physiotherapy will help you reduce the symptoms of sprains, strains or tears and accelerate the healing process.
Internist sports medicine
Prehabilitation aims to improve the patient’s physical strength prior to a planned operation (see article).
We can help you to maintain or lose weight.
Is intended for patents who have undergone cardiac surgery or had a heart attack, as well as for those who have cardiovascular disease.
Is intended for patients with chronic lung conditions (such as COPD or asthma) and acute lung diseases, as well as before and after surgery on the lungs. Our rehabilitation is also designed as prevention therapy. We offer appropriate ambulatory programs.
Women and sport
Sports during and after pregnancy: why physical exercise and activity make sense and what women should be aware of
Working together with the Department of Obstetrics at the Zurich University Hospital (Head of Department: Prof. Dr. R. Zimmermann; Contact person at USZ: Dr. N. Kimmich), we are the go-to place for expertise related to all questions of pregnancy and sport or exercise. It covers the whole range from the possibility of using sport/exercise as therapy to questions of sport from amateur and professional athletes.
Treatment of hormonal disorders (including RED-S and ‘female athlete triad’)
Working together with the Department of Reproductive Endocrinology (Head of Department: Prof. Dr. B. Imthurn), we can answer all questions related to hormonal imbalance in athletes and contraception, at the highest level.
Sex-specific mechanisms of injury
Knowledge and findings from research in elite sports can be translated to the prevention and treatment of musculoskeletal injuries in any sportswoman.
Use of sport as therapy in gynecologic cancers
Following our credo of ‘Sport as Therapy’, movement training helps patients to better tolerate chemotherapy, radiation therapy and hormone therapy, both physically and mentally. In addition, it promotes healing and lowers the risk of recurrence. Cooperation with the Department of Gynecology at the USZ (Head of Department: Prof. Dr. D. Fink) and resident colleagues, we are the go-to place for expertise related to all questions on cancer and sport. In addition, our cancer rehabilitation groups offer the possibility of structured training to obtain optimal results.
Pelvic floor examination and treatment (Flyer)
Pediatric sports medicine
Special aspects of sport for children and adolescents
The specific risks of injury depend on age and the developmental phase.
Caring for young competitive athletes
The sports medicine assessment is intended for children and adolescents of different ages covering various types of activities in both recreational and competitive sports.
Children and adolescents with chronic diseases
In cooperation with various departments at the Zurich University Children’s Hospital, we provide care for children and adolescents with chronic diseases. Working together with our colleagues in Cardiology, Pulmonology, and the Center for Adolescents we cover a wide range of conditions including obesity, asthma and congenital heart diseases. Children and adolescents can avail themselves of Sports Medicine assessments and personalized advice on sport and exercise. Outpatient exercise programs are in development for those who are overweight or have congenital heart disease.
Our services in detail
What our customers say
Swiss ultramarathon runner
"Thanks to sports medicine I am well prepared for the Atlantic Challenge!"
Swiss Skier, World and Olympic Champion
"Thanks to the great support I was back on the slopes quickly."
Swiss triathlete, Olympic Champion and World Champion
"I feel very well looked after – many thanks to the entire team!"
Swiss slalom specialist, Olympic Champion
"I am happy to be back in the Ski World Cup with a healthy hand!"
Prof. Dr. med. Johannes Scherr
Dr. med. Walter O. Frey
Dr. med. Stefan Fröhlich
Dr. med. Nora Wieloch
Dr. med. Friederike Wippermann
Information for referring doctors
Sports medicine consistently focuses on movement as targeted treatment methods and offers a wide range of well-researched training exercises, physiotherapy, and sports therapy. The specialist team looks after elite athletes, recreational sports aficionados and patients to improve performance, treat symptoms, and assist with rehabilitation after surgery.
Indications and range of services
Led by Prof. Dr. med. Johannes Scherr and Dr. med. Walter O. Frey, the team specializes in treating your patients for the following indications
- Sports medicine assessments
- (Sports) physiotherapy
- Performance diagnostics
- Training exercises and sports therapy
- Outpatient rehabilitation (musculoskeletal system, cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation, oncology, obesity)
At the University Center for Prevention and Sports Medicine, we work together with different specialties in a multidisciplinary fashion. Sports medicine offers a platform on which many specialties can meet when questions associated with movement arise. Possible topics include “Women and Sport”, “Children and Sport”, “Cancer and Sport”, etc.
We offer the following services
- Sports medicine investigation of the musculoskeletal system
- Workup of pain and other symptoms affecting the musculoskeletal system
- Medical assessment and care after accidents
- Medical assessment and counseling for training programs
- Medical checkups
- Second opinions
- Preventive medical consultations
- Assessment of reduced performance
- Active physiotherapy
- Sports physiotherapy
- Respiratory therapy
- Respiratory muscle training
- Passive physiotherapy
- Manual therapy
- Manual trigger-point therapy
- Dry needling
- Taping and kinesiotaping
- Electrotherapy and thermotherapy
- Manual lymphatic drainage
- Classical medical massage
- Myofascial treatment
- Physiotherapy assessments
- Stability testing (pelvis, leg axis, trunk)
- Muscle strength testing and training program
- Functional Movement Screen (FMS)
- Shoulder assessment
- Outpatient physiotherapy programs
- Conservative and postoperative rehabilitation
- Pulmonary rehabilitation
- “Back to sports”: intensive rehabilitation for athletes
- Blood tests
- Body fat measurement
- Blood volume measurement
- Compartment pressure measurement
- Lactate threshold test
- Exercise spirometry
- Trunk strength
- Jump strength
Training and sports therapy
- General offers
- Fitness club subscriptions
- Medical training therapy
- Personal training
- Medical massage
- Weight reduction program
- Special offers
- Power Plate
- Group courses
- Nordic walking
- Back exercises
- Outpatient programs
- Musculoskeletal system rehabilitation
- Cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation
- Exercises and sports therapy in cancer
- Back to sports
Benefits for your patients
Our medical services offer your patients the following benefits
- Exercise is a potent medicine: that is our motto for the optimal interdisciplinary treatment of patients at the University Center for Prevention and Sports Medicine.
- Medical assessment, physiotherapy, performance diagnostics and training are all under one roof.
- Holistic care: knee pain, for example, may be due to instability of the spine. At the University Center for Prevention and Sports Medicine, we assess and treat the musculoskeletal system in its entirety.
- At the University Center for Prevention and Sports Medicine you will find yourself among highly motivated patients, athletes, and members of staff. Even if you are not a particularly sporty person, you will still feel at ease here.
- Many elite athletes depend on the know-how of the University Center for Prevention and Sports Medicine. Whether you participate in recreational sports or don’t do any sporting activities at all, you will be treated with the same methods that help the professionals.
- Free child care is available while you are with us.