Dr. Daniel Mühlemann
Chiropractic Medicine is an evidence-based treatment concept. It is an alternative to or complements other medical or surgical procedures as well as physiotherapy.
What sort of conditions do chiropractors treat?
Treatment is suitable for all age groups, including babies, young children and elderly persons. Chiropractors treat many complaints that originate in the spine which include:
- Acute or chronic neck or low back pain
- Pain in the thoracic spine
- Pain radiating into the arms or the legs
- Pain in the peripheral joints (e.g. hips, shoulders, elbows)
The department of Chiropractic Medicine at Balgrist University Hospital is the only official educational institution for medical students in the track Chiropractic Medicine in Switzerland.
When the back hurts
The tv broadcast "gesundheitheute" on SRF 1 accompanies four patients for one day and gives an insight into various conservative and surgical treatment methods.
Annual back day for children
Every November, there is a free screening for children in collaboration with the association ChiroSuisse.
Study of Chiropractic Medicine
Six-year course (bachelor’s and master’s) in the Faculty of Medicine, University of Zurich.
Outpatient chiropractic clinic
The outpatient chiropractic clinic is a training centre for future chiropractors to refine their diagnostic and therapeutic skills in the final year of their studies. A selected group of experienced chiropractors ensure the considerable manual medical skills required.
Working closely with other musculoskeletal specialists at the Balgrist University Hospital (in orthopaedics, rheumatology, radiology, sports medicine, neurology, physiotherapy and occupational therapy) allows the comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic care of patients with problems in the musculoskeletal system. Such close cooperation is unique and a sign of forward-looking medicine that is orientated to the individual needs of the patient.
Planning, development, and execution of research projects in chiropractic are being carried out together with the Integrative Spinal Research (ISR) group.
Dr. Daniel Mühlemann
Dr. Patricia M. Schaller
Dr. Urs B. Zahner
Dr. Inga Paravicini
Dr. Aviram Bodnar
Dr. Curdin Caviezel
Dr. Fredrik Granelli
Dr. med. Ernst Kunz
Dr. med. chiro. Malin Mühlemann
Information for referring doctors
Diagnostic investigation and treatment of functional disorders and pain in the musculoskeletal system, especially the spine.
Indications and range of services
The chiropractic team led by Dr. Daniel Mühlemann specialises in the treatment of functional disorders and pain in the musculoskeletal system, for example
- Low back pain, sciatica, sacroiliac joint dysfunction
- Pain originating from the thoracic spine, pseudo-angina pectoris
- Neck pain, cervicobrachialgia (shoulder-arm syndrome), torticollis
- Cervicogenic headache
- Disorders of mastication
- Enthesopathy of the spine or limbs, e.g. suboccipital muscle tendinitis, epicondylitis, achillodynia
- Myofascial pain
We offer the following medical services
- Examination and diagnostic investigation of the musculoskeletal system, especially the spine
- Chiropractic therapy
- Flexion distraction therapy
- Therapeutic injection of local anaesthetic
- Referral for further investigations: imaging, lab tests, neurophysiology
- Ergonomic advice and active rehabilitation
- Passive therapy by physical means, e.g. cryotherapy, thermotherapy, electrotherapy, laser treatment, shock wave therapy
The benefit to your patients
Our medical services offer your patients the following advantages
- Comprehensive in-depth work-up of functional disorders and painful conditions in the interdisciplinary setting of the Zurich University Spine Centre
- Rapid uncomplicated access to other specialists at the Zurich University Spine Centre
- Examination, diagnostic investigation, and treatment from one source
- Cost effectiveness
- Prompt appointments