How can we help you?



Comments, compliments or concerns?
We look forward to your feedback.


Here to answer your questions

Frequently asked questions about the University Spine Center at the Balgrist University Hospital in Zurich.

Who benefits from the University Spine Center?

All patients with back pain, whether or not they have supplementary insurance. Our outpatient and inpatient services of internationally first-class standard are available for diagnosis and treatment. Here in Zurich we treat both children and adults.

I am already a patient at Balgrist – will there be any changes for me?

Nothing will change directly if you are already one of our patients: your contact person will be the same and any appointments or treatment sessions that you have booked will not be altered. However, you will now benefit more easily from the interdisciplinary cooperation.

Interdisciplinary – what does that mean for me?

‘Interdisciplinary’ means that our specialists in different units work together to make sure that you will get the best possible treatment for your particular condition in the most appropriate place. If you have back pain, you don’t have to worry about which specialist department to contact – simply get in touch with the University Spine Center.

As you would expect, you will be examined by one of our back specialists during an appointment. To provide you with the best possible treatment for your back problem, however, your specialist may call in specialists from the other units. In this way, you will benefit from the experience and expertise of eight highly specialized departments.

How can I get treatment at the University Spine Center?

You can consult your general practitioner (GP), who will arrange an appointment at the University Spine Center for you. Alternatively, you can arrange an appointment with us directly.

Phone: +41 44 386 16 00

I need to be seen as an emergency – what should I do?

The University Spine Center has a 24-hour service for emergencies such as sudden paralysis, fractures, etc. Your GP can contact one of our specialists if the case is not urgent.

My back pain is really bad at the moment – can I come and see someone today?

The University Spine Center is not a walk-in medical center. Please arrange an appointment via your GP or directly with our administrative office. If necessary, you will be given an appointment in the very near future or even as an emergency.

Are back problems mainly treated with surgery?

On the contrary. Our holistic approach offers the full range of conservative and surgical treatment at the highest university standard.


+41 44 386 16 00

8 – 12 noon
1 p.m. – 5 p.m.