Dr. med. Susanne Friedl
Expertise in an interdisciplinary and friendly atmosphere
The Spinal Cord Injury Centre at the Balgrist University Hospital offers the most effective medical treatment and training therapies to attain the maximum recovery of your physical performance.
Despite physical restrictions, our patients achieve the best possible degree of independence so that they can create an active life for themselves. The use of cutting-edge and individually adapted aids and appliances is important, but also the ability to accept help at the right moment.
Areas of expertise
Here at Balgrist University Hospital, we don’t just treat the patient’s body but care for the whole person. A holistic approach including social, occupational, educational, psychological, spiritual and emotional aspects is just as important to us as the medical care and treatment of our patients. We involve the relatives of our patients as closely as possible in the rehabilitation process, achieving our mutual goals.
All the disciplines needed for optimal care of the individual patient are combined in one team. The medical specialists in neurology, urology, orthopedics, and general internal medicine are supported by specially trained nursing staff, therapists, and counsellors. Specialists from the Zurich University Hospital or other Zurich hospitals and departments are brought in as needed for specific medical problems.
You, the patient, are at the centre of our endeavors. We want you to not only receive the best treatment in our hospital but also to feel confident that you are in the best hands.
- Diagnostic investigations for injuries of the spinal cord
- Treatment in the acute phase and rehabilitation following spinal cord injury due to trauma or disease (acute spinal cord injury)
- Repeat rehabilitation, to refresh and maintain the rehabilitation status
- Rehabilitation after surgery in patients with spinal cord injuries
- Pain therapy, especially for pain associated with spinal cord injuries
- Treatment of spasticity – with a medication pump, if needed
- Treatment of decubitus ulcers (bedsores), together with the Department of Reconstructive and Plastic Surgery, Zurich University Hospital
- Rehabilitation of the neurogenic bladder, in particular, treatment with Botox® injections
- Rehabilitation of the neurogenic bowel
- Weaning from mechanical ventilators and long-term ventilation
- Diagnostic investigation and treatment of swallowing disorders
- Therapy for standing and walking, gait training
- Treatment of effects of wear and tear on the musculoskeletal system in patients with paraplegia or tetraplegia, in cooperation with the orthopedics department
Dr. med. Susanne Friedl