Dr. med., MBA PHM
Consultant i.V., Spine Fellow
German, Italian, English
Specialisation Honors and awards Academic career University degree Studies Postgraduate Member of the Board Teaching posts Grants and stipends Memberships Reviewer and editorial board activities References Books and chapters
Public Health Management
Honors and awards
- Nomination for the Balgrist University Hospital Science Prize 2022 with the contribution "Impact of a total lockdown for pandemic SARS-CoV-2 (Covid-19) on deep surgical site infections and other complications after orthopedic surgery: a retrospective analysis"
- Paper of the month of the University Hospital Balgrist February 2022 with the article "Associations of Statin Use with Deep Surgical Site Infections and Late Non-Infectious Revision Surgeys in Patients Undergoing Orthopedic Surgery: A clinical cohort study"
- Funding program "Filling the Gap" of the University of Zurich 2021–2022
- EFORT (European Federation of National Associations of Orthopedics and Traumatology) Free Paper Award Orthopedics 2021 with the contribution "Acne cream reduces the deep Cutibacterium acnes tissue load before elective open shoulder surgery: a randomized controlled pilot trial"
- Research in collaboration with the Spine Biomechanics Laboratory at Balgrist Campus / ETH Zurich
- Research in collaboration with the Swiss Center for Clinical Movement Analysis (SCMA) at Balgrist Campus
- 2020–2021 Physician Scientist in the funding program "Filling the Gap" at the University of Zurich.
- 2013–2016 Research Associate Section for Surgical Research at the Medical University of Graz (A) with Prof. Uranüs
- 2021 Doctorate (dissertation) at the Medical Faculty of the University of Zurich
- 2021 Master of Business Administration Public Health Management at the University of Cumbria (UK)
- 2016 Doctorate at the Medical University of Graz (A)
- 2019–2021 Master of Business Administration studies Public Health Management at the University of Cumbria (UK)
- 2011–2016 Studies of Human Medicine at the Medical University of Graz (A)
- 2013–2016 Studies of Dentistry (First Stage) at the Medical University of Graz (A)
- since August 2022 Consultant i.V. - Spine Fellow at Balgrist University Hospital Zurich (Prof. M. Farshad, MPH)
- 2021–2022 Orthopedics and Traumatology at the Cantonal Hospital St. Gallen (Prof. B. Jost)
- 2018–2021 Orthopedics at Balgrist University Hospital Zurich (Prof. M. Farshad, MPH)
- 2017–2018 Traumatology, Visceral, Thoracic Surgery at the Cantonal Hospital Aarau (Prof. M. Hartel, Dr. N. Renner)
Member of the Board
- Swiss Female Orthopaedics (Chair of Statistics and Scientific Committee)
- since 2022 Clinical Examination Course of the Musculoskeletal System for Medical Students of the Medical Faculty of the University of Zurich.
- since 2019 Repetitorium for medical students of the Medical Faculty of the University of Zurich
- Supervision of dissertations and master's theses, University of Zurich
Grants and stipends
- 2022 Grant for "FORTE Summer School" in Athens (GR) - Federation of Orthopaedic and Trauma Trainees in Europe
- 2020–2021 Grant for "Filling the Gap" funding program at the University of Zurich
- 2018–2019 Grant RMS Foundation for a prospective clinical study
- Member of the Board Swiss Female Orthopaedics
- Junior Member Swiss Orthopaedics
Reviewer and editorial board activities
- Reviewer Journal of Orthopedic Surgery and Research
Books and chapters
Wirth, S. H., & Unterfrauner, I. (2021). Fuß. In Lehrbuch Orthopädie (pp. 139-167). Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.
The spine is a key component of the human body and spine surgery is correspondingly important at Balgrist University Hospital. The experienced surgical team led by Prof. Mazda Farshad specialise in the entire spectrum of treatment for diseases and injuries of the spinal column, providing patients with optimal support.